Sunday, February 24, 2008

Maharaja Burger and Fries

We had a food emergency at around 1 pm today. I needed to eat, but Khaja didn't think I needed to eat. I insisted that I needed to eat. He said that the hotel was about an hour away (safe food) and he still needed to show me MORE FORTS. I compromised with the man who had the keys to the car -- and we went to McDonald's, which was only a few minutes away.

Though most people may cringe -- I secretly wanted to go to McDonald's at some point while I was here in India because I am fascinated by the different takes McDonald's has on ethnic foods. Having grown up in Hawaii, I know that McDonald's served spam, rice, and eggs for breakfast to cater to the local palate. They also do a stunning haupia pie -- which is like their now obsolete fried apple pie -- but filled with a hot coconut cream.

So, as I found out today, the crown jewel of McDonald's India is the Chicken Mahajara Mac! Here's a photo of Khaja having his. It is like a Big Mac -- but instead of beef patties, it has some kind of reconstituted chicken patties, and instead of the 1000 Island-like Big Mac sauce -- it has a curry-flavored dressing. It was yummy for the first couple of bites and then I felt a little ill. But, they had bhangra blasting in the dining room and a woman wandering around whose job it was to hand out ketchup and chilli sauce packets. When she saw me having trouble opening one of the packets she came over and opened it for me and squeezed its contents out onto my tray. So gracious! I talked to the manager for a bit and he was very proud to hear that his location was much more festive and colorful than any location I had visited in the US!

And like any self-respecting McDonald's in any country -- Hello Kitty was given her rightful position as queen Happy Meal toys!

No comments: