Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Bimbo in the Bubble

Hyderabad is an incredibly vibrant and rapidly evolving city with some of the most thoughtful and fun-seeking people I’ve ever met!

But, I have to say – getting around is killing me. I've never felt so helpless in moving around a city before. I realized this Tuesday night when I was trying to go three blocks from the hotel to Barbeque Nation to meet Harsh, Sushama, Sreejith, Vishal, and Teja for dinner and could not convince the hotel staff to let me walk there.

The hotel staff, looking at me in my open-toed heels and generally unathletic build, were sure that I would be killed while crossing the street. And, I couldn’t say they were wrong after some of the manuevers I’d seen my driver make on the road. So, they attempted to hail an empty tuk tuk for me for 20 minutes, but were unsuccessful, so they stuck me in a car out of pity and sent me three blocks.

This traffic situation is not unlike the infrastructure pains faced by US cities like Las Vegas and Phoenix in the last few years. People and businesses are drawn to these areas for good reason – and the infrastructure just needs some time to adjust to meet new demands. There are flyovers (something like an overpass that bypasses local traffic) being constructed all over Hyderabad to fix the traffic situation – so, this issue is not something that will ail this city for much longer.

So, for what it is worth, I’m realizing that I’ve been experiencing much of Hyderabad from the backseat of a car. Here are some of the random shots I’ve taken from inside the bubble. Enjoy!







4 comments:

dFenton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JulieB said...

I'm always amazed at all the people who live there who walk and ride everywhere, without a second thought. For me, just as you said, crossing a street in Hyderabad takes tremendous courage and requires that I have every one of my senses working on overdrive. But looking around, all the locals seem completely calm about it -- even the moms with their young children.

I am loving your blog. Such fun to read all your detailed observations. You're the perfect traveller!

Stefano Emiliozzi said...

Hey Jen, your post are really great! You should quit your job and start writing Traveller's Guide lol

About the post of the restroom...well in some place in Italy we also have that nozzle...can you believe that? :)

Anna Ji said...

As Deviant said, you should read "The World is Flat", by Thomas Friedman. He has just released an updated edition.

You have a flair for writing. And your observations are fantastic.

As I always say ... Look around ... so many peope going about their tasks ... in total chaos it seems ... Well! God surely exists ...!!!

Did you ever have anybody so very concerned about your well being like the hotel staff and driver? Almost intruding into your privacy ...!

That's India ... makes you feel human in a jungle!