Monday, February 25, 2008

Viva Los Idlis!

I'm having trouble updating the blog because WiFi access in the hotel is ridiculously expensive...$20 a day. You would think WiFi would be free in a hotel that caters to primarily visitors to Hi-Tech City. Or maybe just the opposite logic applies! So, I need to sneak in quick posts while I am at work at Raheja Mindspace (RMS) ;-)

Here's one of the idlis I had for breakfast. They were delicious -- but what made them over-the-top delish was this brown powder that I sprinkled on top because, well, it was included in my tray of food so I figured it was supposed to go on top! I asked Priya about this powder and she says it is commonly known as "gunpowder." Oddly enough, she says "gunpowder" may be a local's least favorite thing to have on idlis because it is kind of the easy way out. It is what your mom mixes with peanut oil to put on your idlis in the morning when she didn't have time to make anything else. =)

Idlis will always hold a special place in my heart -- from the moment I had my first one in the cafeteria at Oracle Building 600 to the first time I made them at home using the idli steaming rack and ready-made mix Annaji told me I could get at any Indian grocery.

Viva Los Idlis!

No comments: