Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Loo at Raheja Mindspace

I was not one of the girls in high school who spent a lot of time in the bathroom smoking Virginia Slims and stuffing her bra with toilet paper -- but I guess I'm making up for lost time by taking these photos from the women's bathroom at Raheja Mindspace Building 8, where I'm working from this week in Hyderabad.

Oh, don't you worry -- I haven't run short of topics. I may be alone -- but I thought these things were fascinating.

You can see this construction site out the bathroom window. They are building a 5-star hotel right next door. There are HUNDREDS of construction workers on site, all day.As with many construction sites, some folks are rushing around; some are pounding on stuff slowly, but steadily; and some folks are just kicking back! I'm just amazed at the sheer number of people working on the site. It is impressive and really illustrates something tangible about the way the high tech industry in Hyderabad has provided employment of all kinds to the area. My father was a construction worker and I believe that he would let out a big envioius cuss word looking at this photo!

I love the look of the loo here. It's says to me: toilet/slaughterhouse/fire hydrant.
I haven't had the guts to use the bidet nozzle thing. It just doesn't seem like the proper thing to be doing at work. Maybe I'll wash my hair with it tomorrow.

This is a photo of one of bathroom sink drains. There is a single mothball in each drain.
There is something really poetic about this to me. Visually, I think it is pleasingly melancholy in a 50's Robert Bechtle kind of way. And it makes the bathroom smell like my grandma's house in a sugar plantation camp in Hawaii, which has long since been torn apart and overgrown by wild sugarcane.

4 comments:

Priya Arun said...

OMG, you took pictures of the loo! ROTFLOL! :D

P.S: The word verification thingie is 'pyqejsve' - seriously! you can't make these things up :-P

Arvind said...

where all do you carry your camera to!! you are definitely something.. he he

Joy said...

Hey Sister! I totally stumbled upon this through your FB and found out you are in India! :) Love the blog... awesome writing as always! When are you coming to little ole Charlotte, NC? We love and miss you lots!

JulieB said...

J-Ha, if you succeed in getting someone to explain the little bidet nozzle thing, please let me know its secret. I've always been too embarrassed to ask about it on my visits so have just pondered it. It was an issue on several occasions when I found myself in a loo that ONLY had that thing and no toilet paper. I learned to always carry tissues!