Saturday, March 1, 2008

Rohit's Turn!

On Saturday, the day of the wedding, the Pearls Inn Hotel in Miyapur was a bustling site of a series of festive ceremonies, all focused on preparing Rohit for marriage.

I am embarassed to say that I have not yet compiled the full story behind the events I was privileged enough to witness that day. However, from what I could gather in my still slightly comatose state from the kind people around me, I believe that the overall sentiment of the day was one of welcoming and acceptance of the marriage of Rohit and Srividya by Rohit’s family members.

In addition, Srividya's brother, Adi (who is a perfect gentleman by the way), extended an invitation of marriage to his sister to Rohit. Rohit and his family then accepted the invitation and presented Adi with a gifts and a ceremonial package partially prepared and blessed by the wedding pandit, or priest.

Here are Rohit and his beautiful sisters, Ina (l) and Jaya (r):
Here is Rohit with his adorable and sweet niece, Kittu, who sat down next to me in Rohit’s mom’s flat in Delhi and started playing a pretty beat on an Indian drum, like it was her second nature:
Here are Rohit’s sisters Ila (l) and Ina (r), in all of their splendor! Ila was kind enough to put my sick body up in her flat, across the way from Rohit's mother's flat. Thank you to Ila and her family for their hospitality!
Here is Rohit with the pundit (l) and his sisters and mother in the background.
Here is the pundit with the ceremonial package presented to Adi.
Here is Rohit’s sister Ina in a backlit glam moment!

You can see her mehendi as well, and this incredible Indian female phenomenon and my new obsession – “bangles.” These are not just one or two Bakelite dealios. This is serious business in which, from my estimation, you have at least 5 inches of bangles on each arm – and they are blinged out beyond your wildest imagination! For a girlie girl like me – this is a revelation.

They are made of metal, clay, glass, lacquer, and who knows how many other different substances. They are inlaid with pearls, glass, mirrors, crystals, and I imagine – precious and semi-precious stones. I saw the collections of Srividya and Jaya…and I think they must have thought I was crazy because of my extreme reaction!

Any proper lighting in my non-flash photos was provided by these hipster photographers who were hired for the events:

No comments: